Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Feliz Navidad








I spent Christmas this year not only in a new place, but also in the presence of new friends and neighbors. The six of us were invited to a true Nicaraguan Christmas celebration at the house of the neighbors that live across the street. In true Nica fashion, we did most of the celebrating on Christmas Eve, “La Noche Buena.” The night began with a huge feast at about 10:30pm. There was an apple stuffed turkey, a vegetable stuffed chicken, salad, plenty of rice, and sliced bread. After eating way more than we needed, we all sat around in the front room in a circle just talking and visiting and waiting for Christmas to come. At midnight, we celebrated with a toast and hugged while wishing one another a Merry Christmas.

We weren’t the only ones celebrating in the neighborhood. Everyone came out to the street to wish each other a Merry Christmas and view the fireworks that were being set off all over Managua. After midnight,t there was still so much celebrating to be done…we continued visiting and danced until we were soaked with sweat. I felt blessed to in place celebrating the birth of Christ in the presence of friends and love.

2 comments:

Myrna said...

Mary Elizabeth Densmore!!! Thanks so much for your call. It was awesome to hear from you and believe me we are definitely talking about going to see you next year so start counting down. Be safe and keep in touch. Talk to you later my friend.

ashley g. said...

Wow, D -- that last blog entry really made me think. It's wierd to look at my little computer here at work and hear all the phones ringing around me and all the people bustling around in the office, and then to imagine your little nicaraugan family living their peaceful and simple life making sugar cane. How cool is that? I'm serious, it really made me take time out of my day and stop and think about how I could simplify things in my life more, and how I should really take more pride in what I do -- even in the littlest details.

Love and Miss you lots' D...